Military Benefits

Thank you for your service!


Military Members and Families

If you—or your spouse—is a current or retired member of the armed forces of the United States, or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio National Guard, the information on this page is provided to help you in obtaining licensure by the State Speech and Hearing Professionals Board.


If you have questions about the State Speech and Hearing Professionals Board military benefits, please contact the Board’s Executive Director, Gregg B. Thornton, directly by telephone at (614) 644-9046, or email

Expedited Licensure

As a current or retired member of the armed forces, the Board will provide expedited processing of licensure applications to you or your spouse. If you hold national certification from the American Speech-Language Hearing Association, American Board of Audiology, or are already licensed in another state as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist, you are eligible to begin practice in Ohio upon receipt of your licensure application, pending the disposition of your application.

Please be sure to check the box on the appropriate application indicating that you are in or retired from the military or the spouse of someone who is in or retired from the military.

Licensure is granted immediately upon receipt of all required documents and verification of information.

Continuing Education Time Extension

Audiologists or speech-language pathologists called to active duty during a current or prior continuing education (CE) reporting period may receive an extension of time to complete CE requirements equal to the number of months spent in active duty.

Cross Walk Table

If you are a current or retired member of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio National Guard, visit our Cross Walk Table for information about pathways to licensure as an audiologist, speech-language pathologist, conditional speech-language pathologist, audiology aide, or speech-language pathology aide.

Renewal, Reinstatement Fee Waivers

If you are licensed by the Board and are seeking renewal or reinstatement, you may be eligible for waiver of certain fees. To obtain a waiver of the late processing fee (renewal) or the relicensure fee, generally you need to meet these requirements: 

(1) not more than 6 months prior to the application, you or your spouse was honorably discharged or separated;

(2) if you are a licensee, you are not suffering a mental/physical impairment affecting your ability to practice;

(3) if you are a military spouse, your spouse's service caused you to be absent from Ohio during renewal.

Additional Resources

Military personnel, military spouses and veterans of our armed services can also find helpful information using the following links.

State of Ohio

Ohio Department of Veterans Services

Workforce Ohio


VA | | Apply for education benefits


American Council on Education Military Guide

National Council of State Boards of Nursing | Qualified Veterans Reimbursement Program

O*Net Online | Military Crosswalk Search